As we enter into the biggest pie month of the year, I've heard a lot of folks ask questions on how to make tasty gluten-free pie crust. Luckily, Lisa Horel of the Gluten-free Canteen is hosting this month’s gluten-free ratio challenge on all things pie dough. Each of the ratio rally-ers tackled this challenge with their unique take on a tart, galette, or pie. While preparing my own version, an apple galette with pisco soaked golden raisins, I identified some techniques on how to make the perfect crust:
- Don’t rush. Take your time.
- Measure by weight if at all possible. If it isn’t, level your scoops with a clean sweep of the back of the knife, unless a recipe specifically directs you to do otherwise.
- Keep all ingredients chilled (including yourself).
- Don’t overwork the dough. The more you handle it, the more you break down the fats which are responsible for a tender, flaky crust.
- Remember the ratio! In this case I had a 3 flour : 2 fat : 1 liquid. With this ratio (and a good scale), you can swap out your favorite gluten-free flour blend with ease!
This apple galette was the perfect dessert to round out the Peruvian feast we ate during our anniversary weekend in the woods.
For dinner, we made lomo saltado with golden potatoes, onions, and red peppers. It wouldn't have been a Peruvian feast without Pisco sours so of course we made sure to remember the blender! To tie the dessert and Peruvian meal together, I presoaked the golden raisins in a jar full of aged pisco. And instead of using lemon juice to keep the apples from browning, I zested and then juiced a lime to brighten the flavor.
We finished off the gallete with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a couple drops of bitters. The crust was crisp and had a pleasant crunch from the corn meal while the filling was tender, sweet, and lightly tart from the lime juice. The dessert was truly amazing and the perfect way to celebrate our anniversary!
apple galette with pisco soaked golden raisins
This apple galette is good on its own or all dolled up with some vanilla ice cream and bitters!
Don't forget to see what the other ratio rally-ers made!
- TR from No One Likes Crumbley Cookies made Chocolate Mousse Pie
- Jean Layton from Gluten-Free Doctor made Cheese Crusted Apple Pie
- Irvin from Eat the Love made Double Butterscotch Apple Pie
- Kate from katealicecookbook made Kale & Zucchini Tart
- Jenn from Jenn Cuisine made Sweet Potato and Duck Pot Pie
- Caleigh from Gluten Free[k] made Leek and Potato Pie
- Rachel from The Crispy Cook made Maple Walnut Pie
- gretchen from kumquat made deep dish chocolate bourbon pecan pie
- Claire from Gluten Freedom made Autumn Pumpkin Spice Pie
- Morri from Meals With Morri made Spinach – Prosciutto Ricotta Quiche & Muffin Tin Pie Variations
- Silvana Nardone from Silvana’s Kitchen made Chicken Potpie
- Caneel from Mama Me Gluten Free made Green Tomato Pie
- Meredith from Gluten Free Betty made Blueberry Pie
- Shauna from Gluten-free Girl and the Chef made Fresh Pumpkin Pie
- Meaghan from The Wicked Good Vegan made Vegan Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie with Pumpkin Seed and Ginger Topping
- Erin from The Sensitive Epicure made Chess Pie
- Mary Fran from frannycakes made Pumpkin Mousse Pie and Apple Maple Cream Cheese Pie
- Brooke from B & the boy! made Pot Pie
- Lisa from Gluten Free Canteen made Frangipane Apple Tart
- ~Mrs. R from Honey From Flinty Rocks made Mock Apple Pie