It's another episode of the gluten-free ratio rally and this month's theme is gluten-free popovers!
Have you had a popover before? Most of the texture for these popovers came from the eggs. The insides are light and fluffy and full of air pockets. The outsides are golden brown and slightly crispy. And best of all? You can totally make rocking popovers and make them gluten-free.
Especially if you know the ratio. In this case my ratio was 6 parts flour : 5 parts liquid: 4 parts egg.
Like any good baguette, popovers can go from savory to sweet in an instant. I only really remember eating savory popovers... usually alongside prime rib. To be honest, I could do without the meat, but I always loved using the popovers as a vehicle to shovel creamed spinach, mashy taters and gravy, or leftover plate drippings into my mouth. So I decided to try something new and make a popover that leaned toward the sweet side.
True to form, I couldn't narrow it down to just one recipe so I ended up with these gorgeous lemon vanilla popovers and their rebellious sibling, cocoa cabernet popovers. Both were lovely and would pair well with any sweet jam, curd, or syrup. My gracious mother-in-law Donna gifted us some raspberries that her cousins in Minnesota had grown, picked, and then canned in their own juices. I decided to reduce the liquid down a bit with some lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon. Once the raspberries and juice had thickened, I strained the pulp in a mesh sieve to remove the seeds.
When the popovers were cool enough to handle, I cut them down the middle, smeared them with the reduced raspberries, snapped some photos, and popped that lil popover in my mouth. I adored the juxtaposition of the slightly salty crispy exterior and the lemony softness of the interior. And although I love our California raspberries, these Minnesota berries were perfectly sweetened. No added sugar necessary. Heavenly!
Then I had another. Then I shared with the hubs. ;-) Priorities, ya know?
lemon vanilla popovers, gluten free
Recipe Type: breakfast
Can’t get enough popover recipes? Check out our host’s page, Mrs. R of Honey From Flinty Rocks for more recipe links, or click them below!
- Brooke | B & the boy! – Chocolate & Sweet Potato Popovers
- Claire | My Gluten free home – Chai Popovers
- Erin Swing | The Sensitive Epicure – Popovers
- Ginger Bardenhagen | Fresh Ginger – Chive and Black Pepper; Toasted Onion and Aleppo pepper
- Gretchen | kumquat – Strawberry Cream Cheese Popovers
- Heather | Discovering the Extraordinary – Basic Popovers
- Jenn | Jenn Cuisine – Chocolate Popovers
- Jonathan | The Canary Files – Cinnamon & Star Anise Popovers
- Mary Fran | FrannyCakes – Gluten-Free Honey Coconut Popovers
- Morri | Meals With Morri – Little Bitty Popover Bites
- Rachel | The Crispy Cook – Corny Popovers
- TR | No One Likes Crumbley Cookies – Sweet Cherry Popovers