This week's gluten-free ratio rally topic is cookies, and is hosted by Caroline Shannon-Karasik of the G-Spot Revolution. The cookies that I made for this month's rally are coconut peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies.
My word are they delicious! For the first couple of weeks leading up to the rally, I lacked inspiration. One afternoon, as I perused the contents of my cupboards and saw the two glorious jars of peanut butter which we'd picked up on our recent trip to Kauai.
The night before we left the island, we visited old town Hanapepe. Each Friday the main drag hosts an art crawl filled with lots of great food vendors and live music.
Nestled among the fabulous paintings, and gorgeous photographs was the Aloha spice company. In addition to the two jars of coconut peanut butter, I picked up three Hawaiian salts, tomato jam, and a banana rum jam. I wasn't sure what I wanted to make with the coconut peanut butters when I'd bought them, but I think the cookies did them justice. They are the perfect combination of sweet and chewy with a hint of salt from the peanut butter. As an added bonus, they are high in protein. Yum. Unlike many recipes I try at home, this one came out relatively perfect from the start. And on top of it, the ratio is super simple: roughly 1 parts flour : 1 parts fat : 1 part sugar. How easy is that!?
coconut peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies
To get the marbled effect in these cookies, prepare the dough in two batches. If you can not find coconut peanut butter, use 1/4 cup less peanut butter and add 1/4 cup coconut butter.
Interested in what cookies the other ratio rally-ers made? Check out their links:
- Amanda | Gluten Free Maui | Simple Shortbread
- Amie Valpone | The Healthy Apple | Grapefruit Sugar Cookies
- Brooke | B & the boy! | Candy Cane Shortbread
- Caleigh | Gluten Free[k] | Mulled Spice Cookies
- Caneel | Mama Me Gluten Free | Cardamom Date Cookies
- Caroline | The G-Spot | Double Chocolate Chip Peppermint Cookies
- Claire | Gluten Freedom | Chai Latte Cashew Cookies
- Erin | The Sensitive Epicure | Spritz Cookies with Jam
- gretchen | kumquat | Classic Sugar Cookies
- Irvin | Eat the Love | Apple Brown Butter Bay Leaf Spice Cookies
- Jean | Gluten Free Doctor Recipes | Reindeer Cookies
- Jenn | Jenn Cuisine | Basler Brunsli
- Jonathan | The Canary Files | Vegan Salted Oatmeal Cherry Cookies
- Karen | Cooking Gluten Free! | Mexican Wedding Cakes
- Lisa from Gluten Free Canteen | Molasses Rum Raisin Cookies
- Mary Fran | frannycakes | Pinwheel Cookies
- Meaghan | The Wicked Good Vegan | Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Meredith | Gluten Free Betty | Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Morri | Meals With Morri| Stevia Sweetened & Grain-Free Thumbprint Cookies with Apricot Preserves
- Pete & Kelli | No Gluten, No Problem| Belgian Speculaas Cookies
- Rachel | The Crispy Cook | Melomakarona
- Shauna | Gluten Free Girl and the Chef | Soft Molasses Cookies
- Silvana Nardone | Silvana's Kitchen | Old-School Italian Jam-Filled Hazelnut Cookies
- T.R. | No One Likes Crumbley Cookies | Cinnamon Lemon Cookies
- Tara | A Baking Life | Walnut Shortbread