Unlike your typical biscotti, this gluten-free version has a nice chewy texture and zing of almond flavor and cherries. In fact this recipe contains four different types of almonds: roasted almonds, almond flour, almond extract, and even some amaretto! It's pretty much an almond party in your mouth. Enjoy with your favorite tea or coffee.
This post is the second of two for the wholegrain brunch challenge! If you didn't see my first post, be sure to check out the recipe for brown butter cardamom crispy rice cereal treats! There are giveaways for both!
Today's post was inspired by the almond meal from Bob's Red Mill and my favorite jar of amaretto-soaked cherries. I seem to always keep some alcohol-soaked fruit nearby. I never know when I'm going to need a good rum raisin, cognac apricot, or amaretto cherry. Pro-tip: the leftover amaretto/cherry liquid from this recipe works fabulously in a dry champagne or orange juice. Just sayin. Now if you've never made biscotti before, know that you have to bake it twice. Once formed into a log and then again after you've sliced the log into long thin slices. The second bake is what gives biscotti that sharp crispness and bite. I tend to like my biscotti slightly on the chewy side so the baking time was perfect for me. If you like yours more rigid, bake them for a little longer.
Special thanks goes to Attune Foods & Bob's Red Mill for including me in their wholegrain brunch recipe roundup! While the almond meal mentioned in this recipe was provided by Bob's Red Mill, I was not compensated otherwise for what I wrote above and everything I have written is my own opinion. Did I mention there is a giveaway with this post? You can win 1 package of Almond Meal from Bob's Red Mill so that you can make this recipe for yourself! To enter, leave a comment below. You can get extra entries if you do any (or all) of the following and comment back here that you did it (you can enter a total of 3 times, and if you already like/follow you can mention that too!):
- Like Zest Bakery on Facebook & follow us on twitter
- Like Attune Foods on Facebook & follow them on twitter
- Like Bob’s Red Mill on Facebook & follow them on twitter
Entries end May 31, 2012 and you must be a resident of the United States to win. Good Luck!
|almond biscotti with amaretto soaked cherries, gluten-free||
- 1 cup (100 g) Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour
- 1/2 cup (75 g) Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All-Purpose Baking Flour
- 1/2 cup (80 g) white corn meal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup (192 g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon amaretto
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup cherries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Mix dry ingredients and set aside. In a stand mixer fitted with a beater blade, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the bowl and beater blade. Beat in eggs until incorporated, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl and beater blade. Mix in amaretto and almond extract. Mix in dry ingredients. Scrape down the bowl and beater blade. Add almonds and cherries and mix until just combined.
- Divide mixture into two portions. Using a spatula, smooth mixture into two 12-inch long by 5-inch wide logs. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until logs are firm and just starting to brown. Remove from the oven and using a wide spatula transfer logs to a cutting board. Using a sharp serrated knife, slice logs in half so you have four 6-inch by -inch portions in total. Cut biscotti slices lengthwise into 3/4-inch increments and return to the baking sheet. Bake for another 15 minutes or until golden brown.